COVID-19 : harm reduction
Are you presently homeless or are you a drug user ? You also need to protect yourself from COVID-19
Here are a few things you can do. This list was prepared by talikingdrugs.org.
- DO NOT SHARE pipes, bongs, electronic cigarettes, gaskets or nasal tubes, and all other materials of injection, including sterilized water. For alcohol, use disposable glasses.
- Try to STORE your drug of choice before things get any worse.
- If you are on TREATMENT, ask your doctor for a 3 MONTH PRESCRIPTION. Ask if you can skip appointments and urine tests for at least 3 months.
- Be prepared for an INVOLUNTARY FAST if your provider(s) get sick. Prepare Plans B and make sure you have all the medications you need, as well as the food and drink you will need to detoxify from opiates. Similar steps can be taken by people who are used to other drugs.
- FULLY stock on injection equipment and materials, enough to last you at least 3-4 weeks (longer if you are at high risk of infection and if programs allow).
- Wipe drug packages with alcohol-based cleaners after your dealer drops them off or after you pick them up. A minimum alcohol concentration of 60% has been shown to effectively kill the virus. Antibacterial wipes do not kill viruses but are better than nothing.
- AVOID PUTTING DRUG PACKAGES IN YOUR MOUTH, VAGINA OR ANUS. If you have to carry them around in your body, clean them vigorously with an alcohol-based cleaner before and after removing them, and if you carry them in your mouth, use an alcohol-based mouthwash afterwards.
- WASH HANDS with soap and warm water vigorously for at least 20 seconds (longer if you can) every time you come into contact with other people, after handling money and after taking your drugs. Paper towels are best for drying your hands, or use at least one clean towel.
- PREPARE YOUR DOSE YOURSELF and make sure you do not handle or touch other people’s equipment/drugs or let them touch yours.
- IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS, it is important to communicate them to those around you so that everyone can distance themselves. You can call 1-877-644-4545 (toll-free and accessible from pay phones.
- Prepare for the POSSIBILITY OF CLOSURE TREATMENT PROGRAMS (and possibly detoxification) and follow steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 to reduce problems related to a shortage of doses or equipment.
- Remember that people with weakened immune systems, lung disease and other pre-existing conditions are at higher risk for COVID19. Help them stay healthy by staying healthy yourself. Follow these and other risk-reduction tips to help you achieve this goal.
Contact us if you need more information or if you need safe drug consumption / sex equipment.
514 524-3661 | email@example.com | 4677 rue St-Denis, Montréal